A Bridge for Kids 2012 Essay Contest
“What I would change if I were President for a day?”
With the Presidential election dominating the news for the past few months, A Bridge for Kids wants to know what one thing our teens would change if they were President for a day. In 750 words or less we want you to describe the 1 thing that you would change if you had the ultimate power as CEO of the USA.
Would you demand longer lunch breaks for all students? How about providing your school with funding for something it doesn’t have? Or even pass a law requiring the your favorite team to make it to the Super Bowl every year!
It’s all up to you!
Essays will be judged on both creativity and originality. We will be accepting essays through December 2nd and we will announce a winner by December 9th, 2012. The winner will receive a 1-year sponsorship from A Bridge for Kids, valued at $2000. See below for complete rules and eligibility requirements.
Contest Guidelines and Rules:
- Student must be born on or before 12/31/1999 in order to qualify as a teen.
- Contest is open to all students currently enrolled in A Bridge for Kids approved school for the 2012/13 school year.
- Essays must be limited to 750 words or less and describe the one thing you would change if you were the President of the United States for a day.
- Essays will be judged equally on both originality and creativity.
- Essay along with A Bridge for Kids sponsorship application must be received by December 2nd, 2012. Applicant can scan/email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: A Bridge for Kids 4445 Eastgate Mall- Suite #200 San Diego, CA 92121
- One winner will be picked and notified by December 9th, 2012.
- Value of sponsorship is $2,000. To find out more about what is covered in A Bridge for Kids sponsorship please visit our web site @ abridgeforkids.org (“What we do” tab) for more sponsorship details.
- If you would like to get your school approved, please call Mike at 858-812-3150 to get your school approved.
About A Bridge for Kids
To be a forward thinking, financially solid and self sustaining organization that dramatically impacts the lives of teenagers, allowing each and every young teen to pursue their dreams and aspirations regardless of their economic situation. We strive to help young people in need…succeed!
Our mission is to build a bridge between young teens who are in need of educational and financial assistance and those people that can provide these resources. In doing so, we strive to make lasting improvements in the lives of young people and the society in which they live.
Every year foster youth are given a clothes stipend that barely covers the cost of a new pair of shoes. Many have no money for the necessary school supplies or school activities such as a prom or class trip. Not surprisingly, less than 50% will ever graduate high school, approximately 25% will eventually become homeless and only 3% will earn a college degree.
Every month inner city teens are choosing the street over pursuing a sport or hobby, primarily because of a lack of financial resources.
Every week children are dislocated from one or more of their parents and are in need of a helping hand in order to continue to pursue a specific interest in a sport, the arts or academics
Every day kids everywhere are looking for a “hand up” in lieu of a “hand out”.
What We Do…Child Sponsorship
As our Mission describes we build bridges between those that have and those that need. The primary program we provide is A Bridge for Kids Teen Sponsorship. We believe that by sponsoring a child you help bring long-term changes to a child’s life and their community. What makes our organization unique is that we recognize that each child has different needs and dreams and just as no two children are exactly the same, neither are our Sponsorships. We tailor the program to the individual and provide resources for everything from the basic necessities like school supplies and clothing to athletic equipment for the aspiring athlete. Our goal is to take dreams and make them reality.
1) We actively identify people who would like to impact the lives of teenagers in need.
2) We find young teens who aspire to advance but are handicapped by a lack of financial resources.
3) We bring together the sponsor and recipient, ensure all resources are being used wisely and oversee each relationship to a successful conclusion.
4) We individually review each case and strive to make the next one even better.
For additional information please go to our web site @ abridgeforkids.org.